Living in a world of technicolor

When you look back on your life, you want to see something you are proud of, something that will live on even after you. Growing up, it can be difficult to find your niche when everything is your niche — astronaut, firefighter, doctor, dolphin trainer, unicorn horse breeder. But when does the path for your life becomes clear? When does everything click into place? Where is my ‘oh my God, I haven’t lived until now’ moment? 

For me, it wasn’t until the end of my freshman year. I used to want to be an emergency room doctor. I was always told growing up that doctors make a lot of money and that I should be doing something that makes money. So off I went, pursuing science and math. High school was an endless onslaught of advanced placement biology, chemistry and biomedical science. Fast forward to college where I declared a biology major (didn’t see that coming did you?) and began my journey to getting my medical degree.  

I went through a period of thinking I wasn’t smart enough, capable enough, determined enough to stick with biology. But then I realized, it wasn’t that I wasn’t smart or capable, I just wasn’t interested. I was studying biology not because I wanted to, but because the important people in my life were telling me to pursue it. 

I had always found a passion for writing, but unfortunately, writing doesn’t typically make you a lot of money. When I was younger, I used to write stories about anything and everything. My imagination was not confined by the black and white world. In high school, I loved English. My teachers introduced me to great authors like Dickens, Orwell, Fitzgerald and Hemingway. Though my love for English was strong, my confidence in getting a job after college was not. So, I figured journalism was the next best thing. It would allow me to both write and think outside of the box creatively. 

Since I chose journalism, I actually enjoy going to class. I pay attention and work hard. Last semester I even made the Dean’s list. It’s given me great opportunities to improve my writing and allowed me to pursue jobs that interest me. It’s not about the money. It’s about what makes you feel most fulfilled. 

Journalism has taught me that it’s okay to not be any one thing, that it is okay to step outside of your box. Pursue something that makes you happy. 

We live in a grey world, be the difference and show your colors. 

Comments